eugeniusro video collection

 

Home / Saint Paul Church 65

Total hits: 185091
Current hour hits: 37
Yesterday hits: 2826
Last 24 hours visitors: 476
Current hour visitors: 17
Recent guest(s): 1
The Saint Paul Church was consecrated in 1833 as the main Evangelical Lutheran church in the city of Frankfurt am Main. The elliptical central building made of red sandstone was the largest and most modern hall in Frankfurt and was the seat for the first all-German parliament. Here the National Assembly created the first democratic constitution for Germany. Even after the dissolution of the parliament, national commemorations were held in the Saint Paul Church. In 1944 the Saint Paul Church was completely destroyed. Its reconstruction began shortly after the war ended. It was naugurated on May 18, in 1948 on the occasion of the centenary of the German National Assembly. Since then, it has served exclusively as a place to remember the beginning of German democracy. The Saint Paul Church was renovated from 1988 to 1991. In 1991 the colossal mural "The Train of the People's Representatives to the Saint Paul Church by the Berlin painter Johannes Grützke was ceremoniously unveiled in the basement. The permanent exhibition “The Saint Paul Church. Symbol of Democratic Freedom and National Unity shows the development of German unity and democracy in its changing stages. Occasional special exhibitions take place here and in the basement. The meeting room on the upper floor is reserved for state or city events - the Peace Prize of the German Book Trade and the Goethe Prize of the City of Frankfurt are awarded at this historic location.